The IBMYP is specifically designed to inspire and support students at a time when they need to develop effective working habits, self-confidence and a thorough understanding of each of their subject areas.
Its goal is to constantly place learning within a context, and to make explicit the relationship between the various disciplines.
Founded on three strong principles
Underpinned by the IB Learner Profile, to be
Students study subjects in eight distinct areas
- Language and Literature (English)
- Language Acquisition (French or Spanish)
- Mathematics (offered at Foundation, Standard and Extended levels in all grades)
- Sciences (incorporating all scientific disciplines)
- Individuals and Societies (incorporating History and Geography)
- Arts (Drama, Music and Visual Art)
- Design (Product Design and Digital Design)
- Physical and Health Education.
- Students in each grade level participate in Wellbeing studies as part of an advisory programme. Students in Grades 9 and 10 also complete a course of Study Skills each year.
- Service as Action is an integral part of the MYP and students complete an Advisory Service Project each year, as well as participating in service activities on an individual basis.
- Students in Grade 10 complete a Personal Project in their final year of MYP. This in-depth and independent research project enables them to actively showcase the skills and knowledge they have developed throughout the programme.
The MYP is designed to build upon the knowledge, skills, understandings and attitudes developed in the Primary Years Programme, and best prepares students to meet the academic challenges of the IB Diploma Programme and the IB Career-related Programme.